Have you recently moved to or are planning to buy a home in West Chester, PA? Get to know your new community and discover the fun things to do in West Chester, PA!
Packed with small-town charm, this picturesque and historic community features the best things about the metro. It’s one of the reasons why West Chester is recognized as “one of the world’s most perfect small towns.” And if there’s one place to start your exploration, it’s Downtown West Chester. Check out the essential things to do in the neighborhood below.
Visit the craft breweries
Whether you’re a fan of craft beer or otherwise, visiting the craft breweries should be at the top of your list of things to do in West Chester, PA. Pennsylvania is known as one of the pre-eminent brewing states in the US, with it being home to America’s oldest operating brewery, D.G. Yuengling & Son.
There are at least 250 breweries in the state, with the newer ones producing some of America’s hottest, must-try craft beer styles. In West Chester, there’s Levante Brewing Co., which currently brews on a small fifteen-barrel system. You can try their Belgian Trappist-inspired series and modern, Americanized beers in their West Chester taproom.
Other popular breweries and wineries in West Chester and the Chester County area are:
- Sterling Pig Brewery
- Victory Brewing Company
- Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant
- Wrong Crowd Beer Company
- Galer Estate Vineyard and Winery
Immerse in West Chester’s history
West Chester is a town rich in history. The town has been known for its hospitality ever since Phineas Eachus was licensed to build a tavern in the area in the 18th century. Now, West Chester has become a popular getaway for history buffs, antiques shoppers, and art enthusiasts.
Historic West Chester is located right downtown. Don’t miss the following attractions to learn more about the local history:
- American Helicopter Museum & Education Center
- Chester County History Center
- Hotel Warner (formerly Warner Theater)
Join architectural walking tours
Downtown West Chester is populated with historic structures that display some of the finest architecture of the time. To make sure you get to visit all the historical and beautiful landmarks in West Chester, you can download the printable map and take a stroll along the downtown streets on your own. Keep an eye out for the following buildings and places:
- Horticultural Hall
- West Chester Armory Building
- Site of the first mass-produced Penicillin
- Warner Block
- American Revolution war site
- The Insurance Building
- Historic Post Office
- First Bank of Chester County
- William Darlington Building
- Stone Relief Sculpture
- Historic Courthouse
- Buckwalter Building/Old Municipal Building
- Farmers & Mechanics Building
- Lincoln Building
- Peter & Mary Rush’s Grocery Store
- First West Chester Fire Company
Shopping in West Chester, PA
West Chester is a walkable town, so you can visit its variety of stores and shop to your heart’s content all in one day. There is an eclectic mix of shops in the area. In every corner, you will find something new and interesting, including:
- Carlino’s Market, known for their sweets, cheese, meats, pasta, olives, and a wide variety of artisan goods;
- Éclat Chocolate, home of the some of the “Best Chocolates in America” according to Bon Appetit and made by the master chef and chocolatier Christopher Curtin;
- Second Reading Book Store, a small bookstore with a wide range of books for less. All sales proceeds at this bookstore help support West Chester’s senior citizens through a variety of causes;
- The 5 Senses, which hosts a collection of functional art objects such as pottery, glass, jewelry, candles, and wind chimes handmade by local artists, and
- All the Dogs, where you can get eco-friendly, quality crafted gear, treats, toys, and skincare for your pets.
Get to know West Chester, PA, with a local expert
If you’re looking for a new home in West Chester, PA, and surrounding areas, our award-winning team at RE/MAX Direct are Pennsylvania locals who know the community well.
Not only do we know about the ins and outs of the local real estate market, but we can help you find the right home and neighborhood for you. Once you’ve settled down, count us as your guides to all the best things to do in West Chester, PA. We’ll make sure your time living in West Chester is worthwhile. Get in touch with us now at 610.430.8100 or send us an email at remaxdirectwc(at)gmail(dotted)com to get started!